Tuesday, January 15, 2013

My Favorite Movies: #40-31


I've ran out of things to say in the introduction. So...


40. Marie Antoinette (Sofia Coppola, 2006)
A lot of people do not like this film, something that put me off from seeing it for a long time. I gave in to my instincts to see yet another Kirsten Dunst film and fell in love immediately with the movie. Sofia Coppola is a master at showcasing her characters' inner turmoil and isolation. This film is also amongst my top 10 best shot films of all time. The costumes, the sets and the camerawork are so easy on the eyes.

39. A Streetcar Named Desire (Elia Kazan, 1951)
Bearing some of the best acting performances of all time, this film is a true masterpiece. Every actor is on their A-game, and it should have won them all Oscars (Marlon Brando shockingly is the only one from the two leads and the two supporting actors who did not win in his Oscar category.) My beloved Vivling at her very best.

38. Inland Empire (David Lynch, 2006)
I don't understand this film. The cinematography, being digital, gives the film a gritty appearance befitting its mood and performances. It's Lynch at his most obscure. And I love everything about it. Laura Dern gives one of the best film performances of all time too, yo.

37. The Seven Year Itch (Billy Wilder, 1955)
One of Wilder's most underrated films. It is now known as the film that contains the scene with Marilyn Monroe standing over a subway grate and having her dress blown up from a passing train (that scene wouldn't even make my top 25 moments from the movie, but I digress). This film contains more than just tantalizing ankle showing (Marilyn, that hussy). It's full of charm, witty dialogue, and fantastic performances. Tom Ewell is amazing in his role and makes a perfect match for Marilyn's strong comedic talents. This, to me, is Marilyn's best film performance. She had real talent. While Vivien Leigh is the most beautiful onscreen creature, Marilyn is the most alluring and undoubtedly the sexiest. Especially in this film.

36. Psycho (Alfred Hitchcock, 1960)
This film should be outdated, given its goal to spook its audience with no gore or violence as befitting current horror films. But, Psycho is anything but outdated. My first Hitchcock and an experience I will never forget. The film is perfect on all levels. A true masterpiece.

35. Last Tango In Paris (Bernardo Bertolucci, 1972)
This film's visuals are just gorgeous, and that's coming from somebody who does not like the look of 70s movies. But, it's the two leads' performances that make it one of my favorites. I fell in love with Maria Schneider and realized that Brando does indeed deserve all of the praise he receives. I also had no idea where the film was going and the ending is something I still ponder over as to whether I like it or not. Either way, I do sense that it fits with the rest of the plot. And since I love the plot...

34. The Man Who Wasn't There (Coen Brothers, 2001)
If Billy Bob Thornton is as amazing of an actor as this film would have me believe, I need to check out the rest of the man's filmography. Another master turn for the Coens in what is quite possibly one of their most underrated works and one of the best shot movies ever.

33. Eraserhead (David Lynch, 1977)
Lynch's first film and true surreal bliss. There's nothing really to say about this film. It's odd, nonsensical and it works.

32. Three Colors: Blue (Krzysztof Kieslowski, 1993)
Beautiful film and with a powerful anchor as Juliette Binoche. I don't know how he does it but Kieslowski is able to not only put his characters through a journey, but his audience as well. I love this film to pieces.

31. Requiem For A Dream (Darren Aronofsky, 2000)
This is the only film on this list that I've only seen once. I didn't think I would be one of those people who claimed that one time was enough, but here I am. Another film that had me in tears at the end. And, it features one of the best acting performances of all time from Ellen Burstyn. Such an emotionally draining movie.

Four more updates!

2 comments:

  1. YAY! to "Psycho" :)
    Bleh... to "Marie Antoinette" :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marie Antoinette hater. That's okay though since you loved Psycho!

      Delete