Wednesday, January 16, 2013

My Favorite Movies: #30-21


Just three more rankings and my favorite movie of all time will be revealed to the world.

30. Fight Club (David Fincher, 1999)
I beat around the bush a long time before seeing this gem. It was really stupid of me because this film is/should be a classic. Everything works, even the twist.

29. The Trial (Orson Welles, 1962)
The most underrated film on this list. Yeah, it makes no sense, but it's such an audacious piece from Welles that it should be more well regarded. Anthony Perkins is on his A-game, as is Orson Welles. But it is Romy Schneider who nearly steals the film from them both. 

28. Taxi Driver (Martin Scorsese, 1976)
My favorite Scorsese so far. De Niro's Travis Bickle is one of the best film characters of all time. It also includes a young and promisingly amazing Jodie Foster. The soundtrack is also badass.

27. Do The Right Thing (Spike Lee, 1989)
I had no idea what this film was about or what to expect. I'd only seen Lee's 4 Little Girls up to that point and had heard about how controversial he was. This film definitely fits his reputation and is a masterpiece as a result. 

26. Blood Simple (Coen Brothers, 1984)
I just popped this movie in three weeks ago, expecting nothing more than a late night thrill. But it was more than that. The Coens' first feature film is thrilling indeed, but also features some amazing performances, especially from M. Emmet Walsh.

25. In The Mood For Love (Wong Kar-wai, 2000)
This movie is smooth, on the eyes and in its mood. It's so peaceful and tranquil, and manages to strike an emotional chord.

24. Paris, Texas (Wim Wenders, 1984)
Like the previous film, this film is tranquil but is even more emotionally charged. I was in tears by the end. 

23. Through A Glass Darkly (Ingmar Bergman, 1961)
Some of my friends call me a snob for loving Bergman because they don't get him. But I do. His films sneak up on you and by the end you find yourself emotionally torn apart. This is the exact case with this film, which like the previous two I found tranquil; that is until the climax where Harriet Andersson showcases one of the best acting performances of all time. After that scene, I snapped out of my reverie from the previous peaceful mood.

22. Double Indemnity (Billy Wilder, 1944)
The best pairing of Fred MacMurray and Barbara Stanwyck in existence. The film is beautifully shot, features sharp dialogue as befitting Wilder, and bears some wonderful performances. The plot is also very strong, making this the second best film noir of all time. Wilder was a true genius.

21. Solaris (Andrei Tarkovsky, 1972)
So far, my only Tarkovsky. But, if this film is an indication to how amazing of an auteur he is, then I need to watch the rest of his films ASAP. I love the existential questions that this film pose, as well as the cinematography and the story. Genius, genius, genius.

No comments:

Post a Comment